High-speed counting, along with position detection using an array of different displacement transducer technologies, both absolute and incremental, is an essential element of many automation applications. With the EtherCAT Box modules from the EP5xxx series for position, frequency, displacement or angle measurement, Beckhoff offers the right solution for your precision measurement tasks.
- direct acquisition of signals on the machine
- integrated sensor supply, 5 V DC or 24 V DC
- realization of simple automation solutions, even for complex systems, due to numerous functions
- synchronization of the position value with other processes thanks to the distributed clocks function
Areas of application:
- position, speed of rotation and velocity measurement
- positioning tasks for motion control applications
- piece goods counting
Absolute position detection
The EP5xxx enables the evaluation of linear and rotary encoders and measuring probes as well as displacement measuring systems and absolute encoders with SSI (synchronous serial interface). Many modules are equipped with an integrated sensor supply. Extensive parameterization options allow all standard sensors in both single-turn and multi-turn versions to be connected and evaluated.
Incremental position detection
Furthermore, differential signals with RS422 or 5 V single-ended signals from TTL encoders can be evaluated. 24 V digital inputs can be used to store, disable and set the counter value. Functions such as micro-increments and timestamp additionally enable finely resolved position detection. EtherCAT's distributed clocks function ensures an exact synchronization of the position value with other processes.