Embedded PC with Intel® Pentium® MMX-compatible CPU
The basic CX1010 module is the basic device of the CX family. With a 500 MHz Intel® Pentium® MMX-compatible processor it offers average CPU performance.
Depending on the application, the CX1010 can also be operated in “headless” mode, i.e. without display and keyboard. While the resulting control system has no visualization, it does have communications capability via the built-in Ethernet interface. If local visualization is required, this can be implemented via a DVI (digital video interface), to which all Beckhoff Control Panels and all commercially available monitors with DVI or VGA input can be connected. The touch screen signal is read via one of the two available USB interfaces.
The individual system components are modules with a width of 19 mm (single) or 38 mm (double) that can be arranged in series. The basic unit consists of a (CX1010) CPU module and a power supply module (CX1100-000x).
The CPU module is available in several variants, e.g.
- System interfaces: as an option, a DVI and two USB interfaces can be added to the existing Ethernet interface. Further system interfaces for serial communication (2 x RS232 or 2 x RS422/485) or audio signals can be ordered separately.
- Operating system: There is a choice of no operating system, Microsoft Windows Embedded CE 6 or Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard 2009.
- TwinCAT 2 software (pre-installed): without a TwinCAT 2 system, with TwinCAT 2 CE PLC or with TwinCAT 2 CE NC PTP, or with the associated full version of the individual TwinCAT 2 levels for PLC and NC PTP
Power supply unit with integrated I/O interface
For the 24 V DC power supply unit there is a choice of four different versions:
- : without I/O interface
- : with terminal bus interface for Beckhoff Bus Terminals
- : with terminal bus interface for Beckhoff Bus Terminals and IP-Link interface for Beckhoff Fieldbus Box modules
- : with terminal bus interface for Beckhoff EtherCAT Terminals
All power supply variants have an illuminated, low-glare LC-display with FSTN technology and two rows with 16 characters each for displaying status messages. The application programs can also use the display for displaying application-specific texts. 8 kB of non-volatile memory for remanent data are also included.
The range of optional modules is complemented by fieldbus connections for PROFIBUS, CANopen, DeviceNet, SERCOS and Lightbus, both as master or slave versions.
PLC, motion control and visualization
In combination with TwinCAT 2 automation software, the CX1010 Embedded PC becomes a powerful IEC 61131-3 PLC with up to four user tasks. Additionally, motion control tasks can also be executed. Depending on the required cycle time, several servo axes can be controlled. Even special functions such as flying saw, electronic gearbox and cam plate can be realized. Under Windows Embedded CE 6, thanks to the real-time capability of the operating system, user tasks written in high-level languages can be processed in real-time in parallel with TwinCAT 2.
Remote programming via Ethernet
The CX1010 units are programmed via a laptop or a desktop PC that is connected with the CX1010 via Ethernet (network or crossover cable). The programs are developed on the laptop with a standard TwinCAT 2 software license and then loaded into the target device.
Both Windows Embedded Standard 2009 and Windows Embedded CE 6 are available as operating system. The latter has the advantages of faster boot up and lower license costs. The Beckhoff OPC server for connection to SCADA packages is available for both operating systems variants. The same applies to the CX1010: easy visualization and at the same time real-time control on one system.