TE1xxx | TwinCAT 3 Engineering
The TwinCAT 3 engineering components enable the configuration, programming and debugging of applications.
TC1xxx | TwinCAT 3 Base
The TwinCAT 3 basic components can be extended by functions.
TFxxxx | TwinCAT 3 Functions
The basic components can be extended by TwinCAT 3 functions. The functions are classified into various categories. e.g. motion control, measurement technology, control technology and communication.
TwinCAT 3 Build 4024
New TwinCAT properties reduce engineering costs and increase communication stability
TwinCAT 3 platforms
The TwinCAT 3 runtime components are available for different platform levels. The platform levels correspond to the various TwinCAT 3 platform levels of the Beckhoff PCs.
TwinCAT 3 licensing
TwinCAT 3.1 offers the option of using a TwinCAT 3 license key (license dongle) for licensing.
TXxxxx | TwinCAT 2 Base
TwinCAT 2 Base consists of runtime systems for the real-time execution of control programs and development environments for programming, configuration and diagnostics.
TSxxxx | TwinCAT 2 Supplements
The TwinCAT 2 Supplements can be used for the individual addition of functions to the TC2 Base components.
Open, PC-based control technology
Beckhoff created a global standard for automation with the launch of PC-based control technology in 1986. On the software side, the TwinCAT (The Windows Control and Automation Technology) automation suite forms the core of the control system. The TwinCAT software system turns almost any PC-based system into a real-time control with multiple PLC, NC, CNC and/or robotics runtime systems. TwinCAT 3 is the systematic further development of TwinCAT 2, with which the world of automation technology is being redefined.
TwinCAT 3 highlights
- only one software for programming and configuration
- Visual Studio® integration
- more freedom in selecting programming languages
- support for the object-oriented extension of IEC 61131-3
- use of C/C++ as the programming language for real time applications
- link to MATLAB®/Simulink®
- open interfaces for expandability and adaptation to the tools landscape
- flexible runtime environment
- active support of multi-core and 64-bit systems
- migration of TwinCAT 2 projects
- automatic code generation and project implementation with the TwinCAT Automation Interface
Integration in Microsoft Visual Studio® makes it possible to program automation objects in parallel with the aid of the 3rd edition of IEC 61131-3 and the C or C++ languages. The objects (modules) generated can exchange data with each other and call each other independently of the language they were written in. The TwinCAT System Manager has been integrated into the development environment. This way, only one software is required to configure, parameterize, program and to diagnose automation devices.
Visual Studio® integration can be accomplished in two different ways. TwinCAT Standard only uses the basic framework of Visual Studio® with all its benefits in terms of handling, connection to source code control software, etc., while TwinCAT Integrated, as the name implies, integrates itself into Visual Studio®. In this version, the C/C++, C#, VB.NET programming languages and link to MATLAB®/Simulink® are available.
TwinCAT 2 highlights
The Beckhoff TwinCAT software system turns almost any compatible PC into a real-time controller with a multi-PLC system, NC axis control, programming environment and operating station. TwinCAT replaces conventional PLC and NC/CNC controllers as well as operating devices with:
- embedment of IEC 61131-3 – and thus realization of a software PLC
- integrated Motion Control solution – from NC PTP, robotics to CNC
- programming system and runtime can be operated on one PC or also separately
- runtime reduced to one core of a CPU
- support for 32-bit operating systems (Windows CE, Windows 7, Windows 10)
- connection to all common fieldbuses
- PC interfaces (network, PCI, USB, hard disk) are supported
- data connection to user interfaces and other programs using open standards (OPC, ADS etc.)